Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makers of Things
Hi Folks

As a long time listener of your show Richie, please may I suggest a communities based thread about creative arts and real life skills, here is my current blog for those who might be interested. It is a way of regenerating the loss of our once proud makers of things and stable paradigm, away from the giants, who aim to stand down upon our shoulders, non to help us, but to crush our efforts so that we remain ever inter-dependent upon their slave style system where neither side get enough of what they need.

I am great believer in the many ways that we can empower ourselves, through self pelf and the sharing of the knowledge of who we are and how our hands can work for and by us, it is the single best ways to empower and re-organize ourselves, away from the new normals that the elite have chewed swallowed and digested away from us. If we loose our creativity entirely we become highly vulnerable, like a banker without his pen, or a navigator without a compass, and we always die a very slowl death into statism, that ends up with everyone in fighting for the crumbs the elitist mind have left, like the elite of old, who uused to leave just enough food for the workers who had originally created it.

More of my wares here, https://www.bitchute.com/channel/welcome...ade-world/

For a more in depth story and my own journey click here, https://steemit.com/@shedlife

Thank you, please show what you have created, because creating is who we really are.
Thumbs Up 
i can't seem to give reputation points (using my phone and the popup box is too big), but that is very cool!
As a bee keeper I make many of my own items like wooden hives and many other tools, One of the main tools available to the bee keeper is a device that allows the operator to control the breeding of their bees that show the clean bee syndrome, this enables the colony to groom themselves to help eradicate a tiny mite called the "Varroa Destructor" which has been the scourge of the bee world for many decades now since it was brought in from Asia.

The tiny crab like mite develops by laying its eggs directly inside and together with bee eggs laid by the queen bee inside the single cells of the developing bee larve, the Varroa can develope a little faster than the breeding cycle of the bee and thus have a slight advantage, where up to six or more varroa mites can acompany a single bee egg, and then feed off of the blood lymph ot the developing bee larve, the results are young bees that are born with debilitating deformities like stunted wings and aquire many differenrent viruses from the mites who are themselves immune.

One could compare these Varroa Destructor Mites to our modern day Banking World, where our young are now being stunted by the education fees/debts and the re-distribution of the knowledge of how to fend for themselves, Wild colonies fare much better than colonies that are farmed, and ones that could educate themselves if they wanted without disturbing the hive integrity.

The devices I have developed and produced is my own versions of many similar in this field and helps to sellect certain genetics from the clean bee model by artificial insemination of the sellected queen for the desired type of bees, below is my own electronic version for this procedure.

The savings I made by self pelf were most welcome which run into the thousands of Euros.

[Image: 20170503_155806.jpg]

[Image: 20170501_171203.jpg]

[Image: 20150101_032809.jpg]

Here is a well used leather strap cutter I made about ten years ago, based upon a vintage tool that a freind of mine acquired, she is made predominantly from brass with a few steel parts like the slide rails on the base section, it has a quick cam lock lever for fast width adjustments, I made the handle from Harzel wood from our farm in the English Lake District and fitted it by heating the tang of the cutting blade  an charr burning into place, finally fitting it with a Sterling Silver ferule.

[Image: 20170502_181930.jpg]

[Image: 20170502_181859.jpg]

[Image: 20170502_181848.jpg]

Over the years I have re-adjusted how I do things, one of them is making my own jewellery from recycled materials like the items below, made from Sterling silver the Greek style cross weighs one Troy ounce and has been hammered for a textured effect, this also hardens the metal if your using thinner guage materials.

[Image: 20150101_000555_1.jpg]

Some of my handmade jewelery.

[Image: 20170512_163352.jpg]

The other item is my own design taken from the lists of mythology and shown in aa Ankh model with the Analemma in the centre, all based upon the solar and celestial model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analemma

The item below was made from recycled copper which I got from saving an old water tank we had fitted, the Tau on the top ring is made from Sterling silver from an old silver spoon, it is made in such a way that when swung across the face of the copper it leaves a line that runs at 23.4 degrees which is our current ecliptic in the Northern Hemisphere.

[Image: 20170523_180518.jpg]

[Image: 20170512_163415.jpg]
Today I am designing the things I make first in 3D CAD before making them, I trained in 3D way back in 2001 after a short free course from a freind and then taught myself from there, below are a few items I have designed and are in the pipeline.
This is one way for the more computer minded amongst us to get things down on paper as they say, and learn how to keep our minds in the trim, it will eventually become the way things are done which is much to my dislike, but both avenues can be exploited to empower the individual and save lots of wasted time whilst making prototypes.

[Image: lathe_complete_version_2.jpg]

[Image: lathe_complete_version._2.jpg]

Above is my version of a manual treadle powered ornamental turning lathe showing the main head unit, the steel plates are laser cut and self jig together prior to welding, the lathe bed is made from steel channel or timber, measuring 3 meters and a double flywheel.

[Image: fgn.jpg]

[Image: image.jpg]

Above is a foot powered sharpening system with a horizontal stone system that can be liifted off for changing grit types.

[Image: Assem2.SLDASMdsd.jpg]

Above is a reciprocating foot powered jewellers saw, bench monted and a tilting table.

[Image: htnk.jpg]

Above and below are two versions of leather strap cutters, one I have already made above show earlier.
[Image: leather_gauge_knife.jpg]

Below is a Norris type smothing wood plane, dovetail construction with bronze side plates.

[Image: norris_final_foot.SLDASM_desk_top.jpg]

[Image: byr.jpg]

Below is one of my prototype bee insemination devices,
[Image: 3_D_bodies_ass.jpg]
The marquetry chevalette was the norm of the veneer cutters workshop, designed originally by the French back in the 17th century, the operator sits across the small saddle and traps the project between the vice in front of them via a foot pedal in front and below them, as the shapes are cut the vice is released momentarilly to allow the work to be moved in any direction, the saw is driven by hand using the top frame in a reciprical manner backwards and forwards.
I built this version several years ago for a series of future furniture projects not yet fully realized but I will get there eventually.

[Image: 20180208_135229.jpg]

Below is a 3D drawing of this unit with a dew different changes to the seat a vice, one side is made transparent to show the internal levels for the chain link to the vice and the head unit, if anyone would like the drawings please let me know and I will send them free.

[Image: Chevalett_2_B.jpg]

[Image: head_unit.jpg]

You can see one here in action,

https://youtu.be/2DCN2XHDx0g

It has become a very popular hobby, some are now making a decent living from this oldest of skills, todaymost make their own machines, my own version is made using plywood, the rest is also made in house using the mimimum of tooling.

You can see my other version of the same proceedure in motion here,

https://www.bitchute.com/video/M9mCPJUfIcLs/
Its not exactly the season for wearing my next item, I did get them out a week ago, thinking that the early spring had got under way and then changed quite quickly as it tends to do here in the UK.
I made these sandals about ten years ago during my apprenteship/mature student with a local shoe maker and seventh generation still plying his trade, I made them because I was fed up of the labelled and costly modern alternatives, I had a pair of Adidas walking sandals which gave up the ghost after only three mountains, so what you see here is a pair fit for the Himalayas, they have an Itshide full commando boot sole and very comfortable, sporting a heavy upper leather construction, completely hand sewn and are a pleasure to wear.

[Image: DSCN1462.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1463.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1464.jpg]
I made the following items of footwear for her indoors, again, for obtaining funtionality and higher quality items that would last much longer than the run of the mill cheapoes we are offered today.
They consist of two pairs of slippers, one made from a  recycled sheepskin baby blanket and the other from recycled leather that a local maker was throwing out, infact I have so much leather that I don't know what to do with it, but will eventually use it up for something.
The brown leather version or house shoe is designed upon a medieval design from Norway and also has a full leather lining and a non slip rubber sole where the original would have been made entirely of leather construction, the upper part is made from a single piece and sewn up the rear of the shoe.
I have trained several people on the internet for free, even one on the DIF of late who now proudly walks in shoes he made himself, my reason for sharing all of these things with the world, is not for raising any profit or any income but encouraging others to see there really is another world out there, many of those hands are simply waiting for another pair to show them the way of doing things differently, and using any skill today or tomorrow, the ways in which people do things will be different with every person, and will go on to complement other skills and ways of doing things.

[Image: DSCN1467.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1468.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1466.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1465.jpg]
A Yarn to Spin

I have yet another yarn to spin, on this old spinning wheel that is, I made this traditional machine during one of my former energetic periods, I made it several years ago now from a few old 1970's two inch thick wooden shelves that were scalloped on their edges.

I was walking in our local area on a three mile dog and spotted these old boards poking out of a large pile of rubbish that  the new home owner was throwing out,  but what caught my eye was a tiny edge of dark brown timber where the board had been chipped off when they were being torn out to update the outdated 70's fashion within, I knew instantly what type of wood it was, and that is the finest dark brown Brazillian Mahogany that is no longer available in this kind of quality today.

[Image: 20160925_155914.jpg]

On my way back along the avenue the owner was coming out of the house with another arm full on chintz, so as quick as a flash I asked them if I could take the old boards over there to recycle, and without any thought the lady said help yourself, and then dissapeared again as quick as she came into view.

[Image: 20150101_000311_1.jpg]

After about a hundred hours what came into view was this funtional spinning wheel, designed around an old Canadian style cottage spinner I saw in a picture, its a little bit over the top with many complicated turnings but seen as one of our items of furniture and has on many occasions been the center of conversation.

Over the years we have spun many a mile of yarn on this, which we then converted into many hand knitted items and woolens, many of which we are still using, right now they are keeping us warm as the grips of winter take hold at this time of year, Not as bad as the winter of 62-63 where as a five year old child I was enjoying skating and walking on a frozen Windermere in the English lake district.

[Image: 20150101_000255_1.jpg]

The lighter coloured timber and fittings are made from a fallen branch of Cox's applewood from a local orrchard where we get the fallen apples to make our own cider.

Below are two other wheel I made, the larger item has a full 30" wheel and made from recycled English ash and the other from off cuts of English walnut from a previous project, both are good working models and ornamental in many ways.

[Image: DSCN1471.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1469.jpg]

Thanks for looking and listening.
Here in Yorkshire we have a saying, sit thee down and settle for a while, well here is a settle I made two years ago for our allotment, they are made from standard 50.00 by 25.00mm roofing lathes and 1 inch marine plywood side boards to which the lathes are screwed directly, the lathes are rounded on the edges to prevent cutting and marking, then the whole structure is strengthened by three cross bars that are bolted the sides using self tapping coach bolts.

The curved seating position mimics the curvature of the human form and spinal curve and are very comfortable indeed, I built three of these in full size and two half sized variants for less than a hundred pounds.

[Image: 20170428_102408.jpg]

[Image: 20170428_102430.jpg]

[Image: 20170428_102418.jpg]

[Image: 20170501_171543.jpg]

Another of my faviorite hobbies is leatherwork, here is one of my homemade leather bracelets in the guise of a solar and celestial clock, it has the timings of the sun moon and earth incorporated, the second item involves the PHI curve or golden meme model with the seven positions of the sun along the ecliptic during the summer months from 21 March across to 23 September.
The leather band is made a single piece and a full 6.00mm thick, and based purely on the same esoteric model that we see on the US Dollar bill.

[Image: 20170523_180647.jpg]

[Image: 20170523_172523.jpg]

[Image: 20160923_121311.jpg]

[Image: 20160923_121415.jpg]

Below is a sellection of leather hair bands or tidy's that her in doors wears with pride, she has one for every day of the month.

[Image: 20150101_004858.jpg]
Over the years we have made lots of different things and one is this hair brush, made to make combing of long hair easier after it has just been washed, so many tools of this nature simply cannot handle thick long hair so I designed and hand turned this one. m
Made from solid Madagascan Ebony with three widely spaced rows of 1/8" solid Sterling silver tines in a staggered patern, this really makes the job so much easier and lets the wet or dry hair glide between them, the well rounded ends or each tine also massage the scalp nice and gently.

[Image: 20150101_005940_1.jpg]